Our General Manager, Bill Dwyer, recently presented at the Queensland Government Symposium titled ‘Climate Risk Management within Queensland Government: Insights and Considerations’.
Hosted by Griffith University, the event comprised 3 sessions with speakers on each topic:
- Queensland Government climate change response
- Economic and financial climate risks facing the Queensland Government
- Managing institutional and legal risks.
Bill spoke alongside a panel of eminent thought leaders:
- Dr John Hewson, AM – former Liberal Party leader and financial and economic expert
- Major General Richard Wilson, AO (Ret’d) – Board Chair of the Queensland Reconstruction Authority
- Sarah Barker, Special Counsel at Minter Ellison – one of the world’s leading lawyers on climate change-related exposures under corporate and securities (rather than ‘environmental’) laws.
He spoke about the role of government insurance in institutional risk management and the insurance and reinsurance arrangements that the State of Queensland has in place. He also gave insight into how data collection, claims experience and modelling can be used to help inform government agencies about the past exposures and future risks they face regarding climate change.
While each government agency is responsible for their risk mitigation, we aim to better understand the portfolios and partner with our insured agencies to help them to understand their property and liability exposures.
Contact us for assistance.