QGIF deals with hundreds of property claims each year, ranging from minor property losses to significant natural disasters. At all times, we endeavour to process claims fairly, consistently and without unnecessary delay. Our claims officers are experienced in managing all types of claims and are committed to working with agencies to resolve claims as quickly as possible.
The following is a step-by-step guide to lodging a property claim with QGIF.
1. Safety first. When an incident occurs, the safety of staff and the public is paramount. Your first priority is to make sure that everyone is safe and out of harm’s way before securing the area and taking steps to prevent any further loss or damage.
2. Contact QGIF. Call the QGIF team on 07 3035 6367, complete our online claim form or email us notifying us of the incident and providing as much information as possible. Notifying us early of any damage that could lead to a claim is important even if at the time you talk to us the extent of damage is still unclear.
3. Take remedial action. While it is important to notify QGIF at the earliest opportunity, you can immediately repair or replace damaged assets or infrastructure as required in accordance with your Agency’s procurement process. This ensures disruptions to your Agency are minimised. Where possible, take photos of the damaged property prior to commencing any remedial repairs. Keep a record of any discarded items. Ensure any salvageable assets and equipment are kept and stored safely.
4. Retain proof. Identify and retain any relevant documentation to substantiate your Agency’s claims, such as invoices, expert reports, photographs, quotations, any internal departmental reports etc.
5. Next steps. Once a claim has been reported to QGIF, a claims officer will liaise with you regarding the extent of damage and any action required. Depending on the type and value of the claim, we may appoint a loss assessor, an engineer or other experts to provide specialist advice regarding your claim. Once we are in possession of all the relevant information and supporting documentation, you will be notified of the outcome of your Agency’s claim and the process for finalising reimbursement of your Agency’s outlays.