Personal Accident and Illness

Personal Accident and Illness Overview

Personal Accident and Illness insurance provides cover for volunteers, Board and Committee members who are injured whilst acting in their official capacity for the insured Agency.

What’s covered?

  • benefits paid are the same as workers’ compensation benefits that would be paid to the Volunteer, Board and/or Committee Member if they were entitled to compensation under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 as amended.  Benefits payable may include medical expenses and treatment costs.


What’s excluded?

  • benefit entitlements will not be paid to any person who is entitled to workers’ compensation benefits under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 as amended.

Frequently Asked Questions

Examples of a Personal Accident and Illness claim include:

  • a volunteer is injured while volunteering as a guide at an exhibition
  • a Board member falls from their chair during a board meeting and is injured.

A. An injury is defined in the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.

Nil.  An excess does not apply to the Personal Accident and Illness section of the QGIF policy.

QGIF strongly recommends that all Agencies keep a volunteer register. We suggest that the register includes details such as:

  • name and address of the volunteer
  • duties to be carried out
  • dates volunteering carried out
  • details of training provided

The definition of a volunteer is “any person who works without payment (other than out of pocket expenses) for the Agency and acts under the direction and supervision of the Agency.”